- 1 cup of balsamic vinegar
- Optional: Add one or two of the following - 1-4 tablespoons unrefined sweetener of choice (such as coconut sugar, maple syrup or honey), a cinnamon stick and/or a couple cloves, 1 bay leaf, 1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary, part of an orange rind.
- In a medium sized saucepan, add the balsamic vinegar and up to two flavouring agents of your choice (they are completely optional, but add their own flavourful dimensions).
- Turn the kitchen fan on high as the vinegar is going to be floating into the air.
- Bring to a simmer over medium-high heat, and then turn the heat down to keep at a low simmer. It will take about 10-15 minutes to thicken and reduce. Keep a careful eye near the end as you don't want to burn it. When it coats a spoon, it will be thick enough. You can thicken it slightly, or make it as thick as molasses. You can reduce anywhere from ⅓ to ¾ of the vinegar. When reduced more, it will thicken up considerably once cooled. You can always gently reheat (and add a little water, as needed)