Chocolate Banana Bread Squares
(Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Egg-Free)
This is a delicious recipe that can be made to be gluten free, dairy free and vegan. However, they can also be made with gluten, if gluten isn't a concern for you and then add regular wheat flour and enjoy a low sugar chocolate banana treat.
- 2 1/4 cups oats
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 3 medium ripe bananas
- 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce (you can also use an extra banana instead if you don't have apple sauce)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
For Chocolate Drizzle:
- 2 tbsp chocolate chips
- 1/2 tsp coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray 9x9 inch baking pan or a muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
- To make oat flour: Place oats into blender or food processor and blend for 1-2 minutes until oatmeal resembles flour. You may need to stop blender and stir oats a couple times to ensure that all oats have been blended. Transfer oat flour to a medium bowl; whisk in baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon; set aside.
- Place bananas, vanilla, applesauce, and honey into blender; blend 1-2 minutes or until smooth and creamy. Add to oat flour mixture and mix until just combined.
- Gently fold in 1/3 cup chocolate chips (Double it if you love chocolate like me! Also, I used sugar free chocolate chips to keep the total sugar content down. You could use raisins, craisins or nuts instead too). Pour batter into a prepared muffin tin. Bake for 15 minutes or until knife inserted into centre comes out clean or with just a few crumbs attached. Cool 10-15 minutes on wire rack.
- Prepare drizzle by adding 2 tbsp of chocolate chips and coconut oil in microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 30 seconds; stir well to combine then drizzle over the top of bars.
Nutritional Information: Per muffin
Calories - 92, Carbs - 21 g, Fat - 1 g, Protein - 1 g, Fibre 2 g, Sugar - 11 g.
*Recipe from Ambitious Kitchen*