These are so delicious and are a staple in our house as a vegetable side dish. They are low carb, with 10 g of protein and 5 g of fibre! They are filling, and full of nutrients!
Yeilds 4 servings
- 1 eggplant, unpeeled
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 3/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese or cheese of your choice - Mozzarella always goes will with pizza.
- Optional: Bacon or dry sausage. I would use 2-3 slices of bacon for the whole recipe. Look for bacon with 0 g of sugar.
- Salt and pepper
- Dried oregano and basil
- If you forgo the bacon or other meat, drizzle with cooking oil (see Making Vegetables Delicious for which cooking oils to use)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Slice eggplant into 1/2 inch slices and lay single layer onto baking sheet.
- Slice tomatoes and layer onto the eggplant.
- If you are using meat, slice and sprinkle on top of the tomato.
- Sprinkle on cheese, salt and pepper and herbs.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until the veggies have softened and the cheese is golden brown.
Nutritional information: Per 1 serving (1/4 of the recipe) with 2 slices of bacon.
Calories - 167, Carbs - 13 g, Fat - 9 g, Protein - 10 g, Fibre 5 g, Sugar - 7 g.