Homemade tomato ketchup
I made this ketchup with no refined sugar and all whole ingredients. It is also only has low FODMAP ingredients, perfect for those who experince GI discomfort easily.
- 1/2 fennel bulb, trimmed and chopped
- 1 stick of celery, chopped
- olive oil
- 1 1/2 inch cube of fresh ginger
- 1 bunch of fresh basil, leaves picked and stalks saved
- 1 tbsp coriander seeds
- 2 cloves
- Optional: 2 cloves of garlic and a medium onion roughly chopped
- 1 tsp pepper
- 500 g chopped tomatoes or cherry tomatoes
- 500g canned plum tomatoes
- 200 ml red wine vinegar
- 70 g unrefined coconut sugar
- Head a medium sized pot with olive oil. Once heated, add the fennel, celery, ginger, basil stalks, coriander and cloves. If you don't suffer from IBS, add 2 cloves of garlic, roughly chopped and a medium onion.
- Once they have softened, add the tomatoes, and reduce by about half.
- Add the basil leaves and blend the mixture. Put it through a sieve to remove the fibrous bits, leaving a more silky tomato sauce. Put the tomato sauce into a medium size sauce pan and add the red wine vinegar and unrefined coconut sugar.
- Reduce until it is the consistency of ketchup and season to taste.