Portobello Mushroom Wraps with Spinach Cheese Sauce
A tastey fresh sauce with a garlic zing on fried portobello mushrooms. I got this recipe from my Mother years ago. It's one of my favourites for sure. This sandwich is made with whole foods, is full of nutrients and is pretty low carb. You can skip the pita if you'd like to go ultra low carb or try my cloud bread recipe!
Yields 2 servings
- 1/4 cup cooked spinach, drained
- 1/4 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Swiss cheese
- 1 tbsp parmesan cheese
- 1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp pressed garlic
- 4 Portobello mushrooms, stems and gills removed. To remove the gills, scrape with a spoon.
- 2 tsp of canola oil
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme (dried is okay too)
- 1-2 tbsp butter
- salt and pepper
(optional) 2 large whole grain pita breads, sliced in half, or cloud bread
Additions: sliced tomato, onions and lettuce.
- In a blender, puree the spinach, cheeses, lemon juice, mayo, lemon juice, mustard, and garlic.
- You can either fry the full portobello mushroom caps with salt and pepper to eat in an open faced sandwich, or you can slice them. Either way, when they are tender, add the thyme and butter.
- As mentioned, either build an open faced sandwich on the pita or load the mushrooms and spinach cheese sauce into the pita.
Nutritional Information: for two portobello mushrooms, with half the sauce
With 1 pita: Calories - 548, Carbs - 33 g, Fat - 38 g, Protein - 20 g, Fibre - 5 g, Sugar - 1 g
With no pita: Calories - 438, Carbs - 13 g, Fat - 36 g, Protein - 15, Fibre - 3 g, Sugar - 0 g
With 2 pieces of cloud bread: Calories - 500, Carbs - 15 g, Fat - 40 g, Protein - 19 g, Fibre - 3 g, Sugar - 2 g.